Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Should we live life or document it?

Recently, I decided to take a little break from Instagram.  Honestly, my motive was being just really tired of seeing every minute of people's day-to-day life.  Did I really need to know every time someone was drinking a smoothie?  Did I really need to know every time someone was working out?  Did I REALLY need to know every time people were hanging out together?  It was exhausting tracking  all of these people and their hour by hour activities.

So I decided to take a hiatus.  I have fasted/taken breaks from social media many times, for different reason and for different lengths of time.  God is very consistent about speaking to me through these times, and did not fail to speak again during this particular hiatus.

Through not engaging specifically in Instagram, I felt less of a desire to take pictures throughout my day.  Typically, I will not go a day without taking at least one picture, and usually putting it on Instagram.  Over the years, I have come to be proud of the fact that I take a lot of pictures-- of friends, family, myself, events, etc.  Usually, other people that are a part of my life are happy that I take pictures-- either because they themselves are involved in that memory, or because it is an easy way to be updated on my life and what I am up to.

My main motive for taking pictures is because I am afraid to forget the memory.  I do not know if other people feel this way, but I am genuinely concerned that if there is not a picture from a certain event or memory, I will one day never recall it.  

During my time away from Instagram, I noticed myself enjoying my surroundings so much more.  Without being worried about taking a picture, I was able to laugh without documenting what was funny. I was able to drive without documenting where I was going.  I was able to spend time with my friends without documenting that I was.  I was able to look at nature without documenting that it was there.  I was able to drink a smoothie without anyone knowing.  I was able to work out without taking a picture of the treadmill. 

There was so much freedom in engaging in life without proving to the social networking community how my world was going. 

Not taking pictures correlated with Twitter and Facebook as well.  Who would have thought that I could think of something clever without feeling the need to post it?  Do people really need to know every time I think of something that could be enlightening or funny?  Why not be alone with God and my own thoughts?

In Love Does by Bob Goff, he writes, 
"I used to think I needed to record stories, but now I know I just need to engage them."

No comments:

Post a Comment